Garlic and onion have antimicrobial properties making this soup perfect for the beginning of cold season. This simple soup is a perfect light dinner served with your favorite bread topped with goat cheese or hummus and a side of roasted vegetables.
- 1T canola oil or butter
- 6 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 3 Sweet Yellow Onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 quart Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ - 1 t Smoked Paprika
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil or butter in a 3 quart soup pot over medium heat.
- Add in garlic, onions and salt and pepper. Cover.
- Allow the garlic and onions to sweat and caramelize until tender. About 20 minutes.
- Add in the wine, paprika, bay leaf and balsamic. Stir. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add in broth. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-30 more minutes.