This is a delicious treat equally good for a light breakfast or dessert. High in antioxidants and prebiotic fiber, this dish supports the digestive system. Pears are also highly nourishing to the Yin of the Lungs in Chinese medicine, making this the perfect time of year to incorporate this nutritional powerhouse into your daily menu.
- 4 ripe pears, halved and cored (peeling optional)
- 1 - 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Combine the water, juice, vanilla and cinnamon in a 2 quart saucepan. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the pears
- Bring to a simmer and add the pears.
- Poach for approximately 15 minutes until tender. Remove to a storage container and cool..
- Bring the poaching liquid to a boil and reduce until there is about ¾ -1 cup of liquid remaining and it has thickened.
- Soak the pears in the poaching liquid overnight.
- Reheat to serve.