Raised in a scandinavian household, we always ate rice pudding during the holiday season. But my poor belly, never adjusted well to all the milk and cream involved. So below you’ll find this holiday classic, naturally gluten free and now dairy free. Perfect and simple for the whole family to enjoy on a cold wintery night.
- 2 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 3 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar or other sweetener
- 1 T vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods
- Combine ingredients in a 2 qt saucepan.
- Cook over low heat stirring frequently, so as not to burn the bottom. (This can also be prepared in double boiler to ensure no scorching on the bottom of the pan.)
- Once the rice becomes porridge like, remove from heat.
- Remove cardamom pods.
- Serve warm or cold.
I love to top with chopped almonds, dates or raspberries. Simple and delicious