These members of the brassica family are packed with potent nutrients to nourish the body. Brussel sprouts thrive in this cool weather and make a perfectly delightful accompaniment to any meal.
- 1 - 1 ½ lb of small brussel sprouts, trimmed (and halved if larger in size)
- 1 T butter or oil
- ½ c water
- ½ c balsamic vinegar
- ½ c chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- In a large saute pan, melt butter or oil until warm and add in brussel sprouts.
- Saute until they begin to turn green and the outer leaves begin to wilt, a couple of minutes.
- Combine the water and vinegar and add to the saute pan.
- As the brussel sprouts, steam and cook in the water and vinegar, continue to stir.
- The water and vinegar will reduce and thicken around the sprouts, continue to stir.
- After about 10 - 15 minutes, the sprouts will be coated in a beautiful glaze.
- Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the toasted pecans.
You will make this side time and time again. It involves a little elbow grease, but is well worth the effort.