The skin is a reflection of a sacred boundary of the body. One that separates the Self and the physical form from the rest of the world. It is a space of transference and interaction. In this sense, it is incredibly important to care for the skin in nourishing ways not just physically but on the emotional and spiritual planes.
Self-Massage sends powerful messages to the nervous system that the body is safe and its needs are being taken care of. When this space is created, a healing environment can truly be created.
- Decrease stress
- Skin nourishing and toning
- Intensely moistening to the system
- Move stagnation stuck in joints (much like dust can settle in the corners of your home, so can toxins build up in the joint spaces)
- Time for Self reflection
- Increase in sensuality or sensory perception
- Active meditation
Self-Massage is an incredible ritual to incorporate into your daily life whether its just 5 minutes or you spend more time.
- Find a dedicated towel you are comfortable on, but you don’t mind getting dirty. The oil will stain most cloth, so ensure you don’t mind using this towel for this process going forward.
- Undress and get in a comfortable seated position on your towel.
- Apply oil (use a high quality body oil like our ‘Queen of the Night’ recipe or contact our office for a blend that is appropriate for your constitution).
- Begin at the toes and work your way up the body using a generous amount of oil as you go. As you massage each joint, create a bit of friction heat to move any stagnation out of the joints. Use long strokes over muscular areas, massaging excess oil into the skin.
- Don’t forget to massage the scalp and face (use care to avoid getting oil in the delicate eye area). Finish massaging in the armpit and breast / chest area to move any toxins out into the lymph system to be flushed from the body.
- As you finish you can either shower to remove excess oil (use care so you don’t slip) or you can towel off gently and dress in comfortable clothes for the day or for a restful sleep.
- Do this with regularity on your own or with a partner. Enjoy!